Insurance protects you on vacation

4 Ways Home and Car Insurance Protects You on Vacation

By Carrie Skogsberg

When planning a getaway, you’re looking to relax and enjoy a break from the stress of everyday life. The last thing you want to worry about is what happens if things go wrong during your trip. Thankfully, you can count on your home and car insurance to protect you even when you’re away. Here are a few ways your home and auto insurance protect you when you’re traveling:

1.  Roadside Assistance  

While hitting the open road is a great adventure, sometimes breakdowns happen. Your auto insurance may provide you with emergency road service coverage, which can reimburse you for towing expenses, delivery of fuel, repair parts and labor charges. 

Learn more about Roadside Assistance Coverage and avoid breakdowns by reading our tips for making sure your car is road trip ready

2. Car insurance coverage for other drivers

Sharing driving duty with others on a road trip? Rest assured, if you give other licensed drivers permission to use your car, they are usually covered. This includes teens with learner’s permits! 

3. Rental car insurance coverage

You might be wondering, “does my car insurance cover rental cars?” Generally, your auto policy should apply to the rental vehicle as long as you are driving within the United States (including your deductible). Always read the contract carefully and ask the rental agent to explain anything if you’re unsure. 

Additionally, you can add vehicle rental and trip interruption coverage to your auto insurance to provide coverage for a rental vehicle if you have an accident away from home. With this protection, you may be reimbursed for a rental car if you have a covered claim, and if you have an accident more than 100 miles from home, you could also apply this coverage to travel expenses like transportation, lodging and meals. Expense limits differ by state, so talk to your insurance representative about the types of coverages where you live. 

4. Insurance coverage at a hotel or vacation home rental 

If you are the victim of theft while you’re renting a vacation home or staying in a hotel, you may have coverage through your home insurance for your personal property. If you accidentally cause damage to the property you are staying in, you may have liability coverage as well.  

Questions? Reach out to your insurance agent to discuss your coverages.

Learn more about what car insurance covers and what home insurance covers


Updated 3-13-23

You may also like

Ready to start?

Connect with your local rep or call us at 866-COUNTRY (866-268-6879). Learn more about car insurance coverages

Request a quote

COUNTRY Financial® is a family of affiliated companies (collectively, COUNTRY) located in Bloomington, IL. Learn more about who we are.