Landlord Insurance

Your renters rely on you. You can rely on us for more support and the right insurance for your rentals.

Or call 866-COUNTRY (866-268-6879), and we'll help you find landlord insurance that works for you.

a young couple view a property guided by an estate agent. They are standing in the hallway of house and chatting about the paperwork that they are holding .

What is landlord insurance?

Owning rental property is an investment in your future. We can help you protect it.

If you own rental property, you don't need to insure your tenants’ personal things. But you're responsible for your building(s) and their permanent features, like walls, floors and cabinets. Our Rental Dwelling landlord insurance has you covered.

You can get Home Protector insurance if you rent out eight or less units. If you own more than eight properties, you may be eligible for coverage on a commercial insurance policy.

Home Protector is available for both full time rentals and frequent (vacation-type) rentals and provides coverage for your: rental homes, other structures (like garages and storage sheds), personal property (up to $2,500 for items you may own), lost income, liability and medical payments.

Coverage options

You can choose from two coverage levels for your rental properties.

Basic coverage

Coverage for specific risks listed in your policy.

What’s covered will be listed in your policy and includes things like:

  • Fire or lightning
  • Theft
  • Vandalism
  • Windstorm or hail
  • Freezing of plumbing

Premier coverage

Our best coverage that only lists what’s not covered.

In addition to what the basic policy covers, you may be insured for accidents like the ones below (depending on the situation):

  • Countertop burns
  • Paint spillage
  • Power surge damage to appliances

Claim settlement options

You can choose from the following claim settlement options:

Actual cash value covers your rental home and belongings at the cost to repair or replace the damaged property, minus depreciation.

Replacement cost covers the cost to repair or replace your property and belongings.

Liability and medical

Liability insurance

Landlord liability insurance is available with your Rental Dwelling policy and helps protect you if someone is injured at the rental location. You can choose liability limits up to $1 million.

Medical Payments coverage

Medical Payments coverage can provide coverage for others’ medical costs if they’re injured on your property. You can choose up to $25,000 in coverage.

Additional coverage options

We know your rental properties are unique to you. So we offer extra choices at an added cost to customize your landlord insurance.

Coverage for Additional Risks

The following risks aren’t covered on the base landlord insurance policy, but you can buy extra coverage for:

  • Earthquake damage
  • Damage to unoccupied seasonal dwellings (like vacation homes and vacation rentals)
  • Sump pump failure and/or back-up of sewer or drain
  • Mine subsidence (for damage caused by underground mine collapse)1
  • Loss assessments from a homeowners association

Flood Insurance

Landlord insurance doesn’t cover flood damage, and flood insurance is only available through the National Flood Insurance Program. We can help get you covered through the federal program if your home qualifies.2

Ready to Start

Start online, find a local rep, or call us at 866-COUNTRY (866-268-6879). We'll help you find landlord insurance that works for you.

COUNTRY Financial® is a family of affiliated companies (collectively, COUNTRY) located in Bloomington, IL. Learn more about who we are.

Insurance policies issued by COUNTRY Mutual Insurance Company®, COUNTRY Casualty Insurance Company® or COUNTRY Preferred Insurance Company®, Bloomington, IL.

Alabama residents: Review the Alabama Bill of Rights for additional information.

Not available in all states.
2Flood insurance policies are offered through CC Services, Inc., from various third-party carriers not affiliated with COUNTRY Financial®, in accordance with the National Flood Insurance Program. The issuing carrier is responsible for all claims determination as well as claims paying ability. For more information about CC Services, Inc., read the License and Name Information in our full Terms & Conditions.

For product and service information, read our Terms & Conditions. Read our full Financial Services Summary Handbook.