Is your home an easy target?
Taking these security precautions can help lower the risk of a home break-in.
Unfortunately, in the United States, a burglary occurs every 15 seconds. If you have been the victim of a burglary, you are not alone. According to the FBI Uniform Crime Reports, more than 2.1 million burglaries are reported each year. Be prepared and know how to protect your family, your home, and your belongings.
Follow these steps to protect your home:
- Keep doors locked at all times
- Equip doors with two locks, one a deadbolt
- Install durable door and window locks, latches, handles, and hinges
- Use wide-angle peepholes on entry doors and install vertical locks on sliding glass doors
- Make sure ground level and basement windows have adequate locks and windows are of good quality with solid frames
- Install an electronic home security system
- Post phone number for local police near all phones
- Mark valuables for identification
- Keep landscaping trimmed away from windows and entry points
- Light the perimeter of house adequately
- Use lights on timers to give your house a lived in look when you’re away
- Ask a neighbor to pick up your mail and newspapers (or have the delivery stopped) while you’re out of town
- Make your address clearly visible from the street both day and night
- Report suspicious neighborhood activity to local law enforcement
Do you know what’s in your home?
Our checklists for homeowners and renters will help you keep track of what’s inside your home and reduce the stress of trying to remember what you had in case it is lost.
Need more information?
Searching for the insurance policy that’s right for you? Visit our home and renters insurance section.
Visit the COUNTRY Financial® claims section if you are a customer looking for information about how to file a claim.