Minneapolis Farmers Market
Chef Challenge 2017
Chef Gerard Klass was the winner of the 2017 COUNTRY Financial Chef Challenge at the Minneapolis Farmers Market. Check out his winning recipe below.
This year's winning recipe
Succotash Two Ways - Trout Two Ways
1/4 cup roasted corn
1/4 cup 1/4" diced bell peppers
1/4 cup 1/4" diced red onion
1/4 cup 1/4" diced yellow squash
1/4 cup 1/4" diced zuchinni
1/4 cup 1/4" lima beans
1/4 cup 1/4" diced peaches
1 TBS thinly sliced green onions
2 TBS Salted butter
2 TBS olive oil
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp Old Bay seasoning
a 1/2 lemon juiced and zested
3 TBS crumbled smoked trout
1-1/8" sliced zucchini ribbon
1-1/8" sliced yellow squash ribbon
pinch of salt
1/2 tbs olive oil
4oz skin on trout filet
1/2 tsp Old Bay
1 tsp olive oil
1/4 Cup Purple Cauliflower florets
1 TBS crumbled smoked trout
1/2 TBS sliced garlic chives
1/2 TBS sliced green onions
1 Each edible orchid
1. In a saute pan on médium high heat add olive oil and butter.
2. Once butter is melted add all the vegetables, seasoning and smoked trout
3. Next add lemon juice and lemon zest.
4. Stir ingredients until fully incorporated.
5. Saute mixture until vegetables are fully cooked but still firm
6. lower heat, remove 1/2 of the succotash and keep it warm until your ready to plate
7. Add 1/2 of water to the succotash in the pan bring the mixture to a simmer cook for 2 minutes then puree until smooth and set aside
8. In another pan on high heat add 1 tsp olive oil
9. Once oil is about to smoke add cauliflower and sear on one side for 2 minutes before flipping
10. Once seared on both sides, season and removed from the pan.
11. Next add squash ribbon and sauté for 1 minute until translucent, season with a pinch of salt
12. Remove squash from the pan and roll squash ribbon tight and save for plating
13. Next, season trout on flesh side and place flesh side down and sear in the pan on high for 4 minutes
14. Flip fish for 30 seconds and squeeze fresh lemon juice on the fish then remove.
15. To plate, spoon push 3oz of the succotash puree across the middle of the plate
16. Next, place fish in the middle of the succotash puree
17. Spoon 1oz of the succotash across the blackened trout
18. Garnish with garlic chives all over the plate, green onions on top of the fish
19. Place two squash ribbons on both side of the fish standing up
20. Place cauliflower around the fish on the puree and the plate
21. Place Orchid on corner of the fish
22. Finish with a drizzle of oil, fresh lemon juice and 1 grind of black pepper.