Chicago Farmers Market Recipes
Tomato Salad with Duo of Corn Salsa and Sweet and Spicy Cherry Morsels
By Jeffrey Berman, Student at Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts Chicago, August 1, 2013 Next Gen Winner
1 cup of blueberries
1 cup cherries
1 package of red hot pepper popcorn
1 ear of corn, kernels sliced off
1 tomato, sliced thinly
4 Tablespoons honey
Extra virgin olive oil
Dill, salt & pepper to taste
1. Place handful of popcorn into a bowl and crush it into very small pieces; set aside.
2. Dress tomato with drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper to taste; set aside.
3. To make the sweet and spicy cherry morsels: take cherries and carefully cut a cross at the bottom of each to remove the pit and make sure to keep the cherries orb shape intact. Fill each cherry with a pinch of fresh corn kernels and then dip into honey for glaze.
4. Take the glazed cherries and dust them with popcorn for breading, set aside morsels for assembly.
5. For the salsa: mix 1/4 cup of fresh squeezed peach juice, 1/4 cup fresh squeezed blueberry juice and strain through a sieve to remove seeds and fruit skin. Combine fruit juice with enough honey to balance the tartness of the fruit. Add equal amounts fresh corn and crushed popcorn for texture and flavor, salt/pepper to taste.
6. To assemble dish, plate tomatoes first with the duo of corn salsa on top and garnish with sweet and spicy cherry morsels and a sprinkle of dill.