Chicago Farmers Market Recipes
Tomato Melon Salad
By Chef Jared Van Camp, Nellcote
Makes 2-4 servings
2 Heirloom Tomatoes
1 Seedless Watermelon
1 Musk Melon
3 Tbs Salt
3 Avocadoes, skin and pit removed
1 Tbs Chives
1 Tbs Tarragon
2 Tbs Champagne Vinegar
1c Olive Oil
Salt to taste
2 cups kale, chopped
2 Tomatoes diced and salted
Watermelon diced and salted
Musk melon diced and salted
1 cup Cherry tomatoes sliced in half
2 oz Avocado Dressing
Cucumber, sliced thinly
Red onion, sliced thinly
Sliced Evalon cheese (or substitute with another goat milk cheese)
Green and purple basil leaves
1. Cut the tomatoes and melons in 3/4" squares.
2. Lay cut tomatoes and melons and sprinkle with salt.
3. Let ingredients sit until ready to plate.
4. To prepare the avocado dressing, place avocado, parsley, garlic, chives, tarragon, vinegar, and a pinch of salt into a blender.
5. Blend until ingredients create a smooth puree.
6. With the blender running, slowly add the olive oil.
7. Season with salt.
8. Plate the squared tomatoes and melon as a checker board in the center of the plate.
9. Dress the kale, onions, and cucumbers with the avocado dressing.
10. Place the dressed kale, cherry tomato halves on the tomato and melon squares.
11. Garnish with shaved evalon, basil leaves, cilantro, sea salt and black pepper.