Chicago Farmers Market Recipes
Apricot Brie Grilled Cheese Paired with Gazpacho
By Chris Pandel, Executive Chef, The Bristol
1 pound apricot brie, sliced
2 peaches, sliced thinly
1 bunch basil
1 pound butter
1 loaf pretzel bread
1 bunch of squash blossoms
2 large tomatoes, cored and cubed
Handful of baby tomatoes
1 pound zucchini, minced
1 cucumber, peeled and diced
1 bunch basil, chopped
1 bottle extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup red wine vinegar
1 bunch of dill flowers
Remaining squash blossoms
1. Slice the pretzel bread into two 1/2” thick slices and lightly butter one side of each. On the non-buttered side, place sliced brie, two basil leaves, two slices of peach, and a single squash blossom with the stem and interior removed. Cook the grilled cheese over medium heat in a skillet until golden brown on both sides. The cheese should begin melting out the side of the sandwich as an indicator that it’s done.
1. Combine ¾ of the cucumber and the large tomatoes with a pinch of kosher salt in the blender. Blend until smooth and then slowly drizzle in one cup of extra virgin olive oil. Once the soup is smooth, season it with kosher salt and red wine vinegar to taste.
2. Meanwhile, split a few baby tomatoes in half, add the zucchini, cucumber, basil and toss in a separate bowl with a pinch of kosher salt, a tsp of olive oil, and a splash of red wine vinegar.
1. When serving, tear apart one squash blossom and a few dill flowers and add them to the vegetable garnish. Place the veggies in the center of a bowl and pour the chilled soup around and serve.
2. For the artichokes, peel and slice the artichokes and place them into a small sauce pot with a little hot olive oil. Fry until the artichokes are just golden brown. Remove them from the oil and season lightly with kosher salt.